Taro Boba Tea Cake
Do you enjoy boba tea and cake? If that's the case, you're in luck! Here’s an easy recipe for Taro Boba Tea Cake. This cake is ideal for any event, such as a birthday party or a casual get-together with friends.
- 3 Signature Black Tea Bag Fresh Brew + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Pure Matcha Powder
- 2 tbsp Taro Powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Agar Agar Balls - Blueberry
- Tapioca Balls
- 1/2 cup brown sugar syrup
- drizzle of water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- If using the oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- Steep the Signature Black Tea Bag Fresh Brew in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and let cool. If you’re using powders such as Pure Matcha Powder or Taro Powder, just mix the powder into the hot water until combined.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract until pale and thick.
- Gradually whisk in the oil until well homogenized, then whisk in the tea or powder mixture.
- Sift in the flour until well combined.
- Beat and whip up egg whites and sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into tea/powder mixture gradually in thirds until. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Grease a baking pan or a small rice cooker pot. Pour batter into a pan and bake (or cook in a rice cooker) for 25-30 minutes. Keep watch on the cake.
- Once baked, drop the cake gently on a kitchen counter a few times to prevent shrinkage. Let the cake cool completely.
- Cook the Tapioca Balls in hot water on high to medium heat according to packing directions (around 5 minutes). Once cooked, drain and then run under a tap of cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Place brown sugar syrup into a container, stir in the Tapioca Balls and ensure they’re well coated. Let the sweetened boba cool completely.
- Whip the cream and sugar until it's about 70% whipped. Optional: add more matcha or taro powder if you used them in the beginning steps. This is where ribbons start to form but it has not reached the soft peak stage.
- Pour the cream on top of the cake and then spoon the Tapioca Ball on top. You can also add some Agar Agar Balls - Blueberry. Serve immediately and enjoy!!
It's a creative take on a classic dessert that's sure to impress your guests, friends and family. Happy baking!